You will need:
- 1 pound shrimp, sized U-12 or larger
- 6 or 7 cups of water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 celery stalk, cut in half
- 1 lemon, cut in half
Now do this:
Prep shrimp by snipping along the back of the shell with a pair of sharp kitchen scissors. With a paring knife gently remove the digestive “vein” of each shrimp and discard. Rinse shrimp and refrigerate until you’re ready to poach.
Into a medium pot combine water, wine, spices, and celery. Squeeze lemon juice into water and add lemon halves. Cover and bring the poaching liquid to a rapid boil.
Add shrimp to poaching liquid. Cover and turn off heat. Allow the shrimp to sit in the liquid for about eight minutes. Take off the lid, remove the shrimp from liquid, and cool immediately in an ice bath. Peel shrimp, leaving on the tail portion to serve as a “handle”.
Serve shrimp on a bed of crushed ice. Eat with Bay Spice Aioli and Basic Cocktail Sauce, recipes right below.
Bay Spice Aioli:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade if you’re so inclined
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
- a dash or two of Tabasco sauce
Combine all the above ingredients. Keep refrigerated until ready for use.
Basic Cocktail Sauce:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (not cream style!)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- a couple of dashes of Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of celery salt (optional)
Mix it all up! Keep refrigerated until ready for use.
Thanks for watching! Please tell all your friends. I’ll have several more videos in the coming weeks!